Re: Thunderbird’s future: a modern addressbook

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Tue Mar 13 16:51:14 UTC 2018

On Tue Mar 13 2018 12:29:22 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Aceman
<acelists at atlas.sk> wrote:
>> Od: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl at libertytrek.org>
>> Komu: tb-planning at mozilla.org
>> Dátum: 13.03.2018 12:06
>> Predmet: Re: Thunderbird’s future: a modern addressbook
>> On Mon Mar 12 2018 20:44:10 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), TT Mooney
>>> Nearly everyone needs a decent address book. What do we have to do to
>>> make sure we have one in a default installation?
>> There was a discussion some tim eback about simply integrating Carbook
>> into the core code.
>>
>> I don't recall anything more of substance happening after that.

> Hi. It is because the required manpower haven't changed since that
> time (it seems it was about a year ago).

Ok, but that wasn't a criticism, just a statement of fact.

> 4. will the original addon author continue to work on the code once
> it is integrated? If yes, great, but he will also need to adapt to
> some of our processes. If not, then do we want to accept a blob of
> code nobody understands and we need to learn it/adapt to it? Then
> again, more devs would be needed.

I thought that was also answered (in the affirmative). Philippe?

Also, this is very pertinent and on-topic, specifically because this
very module (the Address Book) is being discussed as the first real
world test of the 'incremental rewrite' process.