Who are our users.

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Mon Mar 12 16:12:18 UTC 2018

Matt Harris wrote on 12.03.18 01:45:
> If it is home users,  where are our migration wizards to hold their hand.
> If it is business users, where are our business features to lock down
> the user interface and account settings.

Note that business users can be small business as well. Central admin is
only interesting for Enterprise, which is a again different user type
than small business. Just like "mom and dad" users are different from
tech savvy power users.

> Firefox appear to have managed to decide business is important and
> have implemented GPO support for windows.
> https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2018/01/11/announcing-esr60-policy-engine/
> Should we also be doing this?

GPO support and an MSI would be great, yes.

Personally, I think we should support all users types that we have - but
with a bias towards freedom and self-empowering. Development effort
should be roughly proportional to the demand from users. This doesn't
have to be a user type, but could be on a feature level.