A point of reference

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Wed Mar 7 20:19:46 UTC 2018

Eyal Rozenberg wrote on 07.03.18 21:07:
> Can you be specific about the application whose conversion from C++ to JS
> you had led, as an example?

No, because this was for a customer.

> Maybe JS is fast enough like you suggest; still, that's a weird argument
> you're making about the "10 to 1" when many people (like me) have not
> heard about any one of these 10.

Most of these are in the form of webapps replacing older native apps.

Most users use Gmail instead of Thunderbird and Outlook. That includes
power users that are speed-sensitive. In fact, that's Thunderbird's main
competitor: webmail.

> I would also be interested to see some robust performance comparisons
> between JS and native versions of certain libraries to be able to
> asssess this claim of similar performance to native code.

See asm.js <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asm.js>. They've even compiled
3D game engines in JS and ran them at usable speeds, and a number of
other applications.

That proves that JS is suitable both for
a) UI, including a mail client UI (see Gmail), and
b) performance-sensitive core code (see asm.js-based projects).