A point of reference

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Wed Mar 7 18:26:22 UTC 2018

Ben Bucksch wrote on 07.03.18 19:16:
> R Kent James wrote on 07.03.18 17:13:
>> most serious users of the Electron framework are finding it
>> inadequate from a performance point of view
>

> So, what's the bottleneck?
>
> Raw processing power?
>
> Data communication between backend and frontend slow?
>
> Inefficient data structures?
>
> Many tests show that the JS engine itself is very fast and on par with
> C code, so blanket statements are not helpful.
>
> When Mozilla started, there was no way to write an application
> frontend in JavaScript. It was way way too slow. Still, Mozilla made
> it happen.
>
> Today, most webapps are incredibly slow. But they are slow, because
> the developers are loading MB large JS libraries to do some
> animations. Of course that has to be slow.
>
> Without identifying the exact cause of a performance problem, you
> can't fix it.

Maybe as a counter-example, Slack seems very popular, even within
Mozilla. In case you think that Slack desktop app is slow, but the Slack
website is fast enough, then you're really just saying that Electron is
badly implemented, but it's not a problem with desktop webapps or JS per se.

When I looked into Electron, the backend/frontend communication sounded
very inefficient.

So, whether an app would feel slow would depend on how much such
communication is happening, and when.

FWIW, I have not made up my mind yet on what I'd base Thunderbird NG.
Electron is just one option.

Ben