A point of reference

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Mar 7 16:13:25 UTC 2018

Right, I also read that article and found it fascinating.

Correct me if I am wrong, but one advantage that V8 has over Gecko is
that there is an extensible mechanism to insert binary objects, such as
a a Rust backend, but that has become more difficult in the Gecko case.
I've not tried to insert binary objects recently, but with WebIDL my
impression is that the only way to do that is to add a new top-level
object on JS, and there is no mechanism for that outside of adding to a
non-extensible list of WebIDL objects. Does anyone else know the facts
on this?

But what was made clear from the xray comments is that most serious
users of the Electron framework are finding it inadequate from a
performance point of view. From a glass half empty perspective, avoid it
for new projects, but from a glass half full perspective, the community
is developing ways to make it performant through experiments like Xray,
or the attempt of Mailspring to substitute a C++ backend for the email
processing.

:rkent