Vision for Thunderbird

Eyal Rozenberg eyalroz at technion.ac.il
Sat Mar 3 00:11:50 UTC 2018

A landing page, or a donations/support page linked from it, should
explain why we even need money at all - which would not be clear to
many. I mean, perceptually, it's a Mozilla project and Mozilla is
well-established and likely rich. We need to tell people that
Thunderbird is an avian scorned! Thrown out into the cold with nothing
but the feathers on its back etc.

As for making a content fresh - in addition to where the content is
placed, it's often useful to raise occasionally for concrete goals (or
at least with concrete foci) like a specific milestone, feature,
employee hire or even yearly maintenance of something - than to have an
outstanding and static "give us money" content.

However - I don't think it's a good idea to bring up a pop-up or other
content requesting money within Thunderbird - except in a very passive
and non-intrusive way (not a "squeeze"), such as alternating
inforgraphics/text while an update is being downloaded; or an extra link
when there's a prominent button which triggers restart etc. It's very
easy to cross the fine line of becoming "nagware".

As for the website - I guess something like what LibreOffice has would
be reasonable, but I'll emphasize that it's more clear why LO needs
money than it is why we need money.

Eyal