Vision for Thunderbird [Resent from desktop]

harry harry_cube at muenchen-mail.de
Fri Mar 2 00:28:59 UTC 2018

Am 01.03.2018 um 12:46 schrieb Axel Grude:

> [Resent, as apparently replying from gmail on my Samsung Galaxy caused
> a bounce]
>
>> So, considering quite some others may use TB in the same way, it
>> could be a good idea to display the donation page**after each update
>> process of TB*- * in the same way as the "new version fixes" are
>> being displayed as of now.
>> ..
>> That is, in a separate tab or a separate window.
> I like these suggestions. I am successfully using content tabs like
> this with my Add-ons.
>
> Another thing to consider for the default case (landing page): if we
> always show the same appeal to donation on the landing page it will
> soon not be actively perceived anymore. So if it could change once in
> a while by having different layout / wording / picture (?) - think of
> SEO principles of content fresh - it will make a bigger impact. The
> landing page is literally like a free mailing list, but without the
> Spam, and no need for advertising anything else as the product we know
> our users already are using. This is an enormous difference to any
> other type of marketing as  you do not have to deliver / install /
> convincing of the product anymore, all the hard work is done.
>
> Think of it as a squeeze page but without stopping the user from doing
> their work.
>
>  How about a monthly newsletter?

I checked the German donation page against the respective English page -
https://live.mozillamessaging.com/thunderbird/start?locale=de&version=52.6.0&os=WINNT&buildid=20180123185941
https://start.thunderbird.net/en-US/release/

- it is actually a translation 1:1 of the English text and keeps very
close to the English wording - IMHO the result is a text that is a bit
strange and odd, in some cases doesn't get the message across and
certainly doesn't really motivate a user to donate. Maybe anyone of the
French native speakers  on this list can give his opinion on the French
version https://start.thunderbird.net/fr/release/

I don't think that the way to go is a translation of the text - probably
every one of the German native speakers on this list could do a better
job and write something more appealing.

Just to compare the donation page of LibreOffice (in German)
https://de.libreoffice.org/donate/              (in English)
https://www.libreoffice.org/donate/
- nothing really fancy, but I think it is a fluent reading and gets the
point across (I again speak for the German Version here - maybe here the
English Version is a translation from the German text and sounds a bit odd)

It might also be a good idea to ask somebody with experience in the
advertising field.

Also, the newsletter proposed by Axel seems a very good idea to me.
People appreciate to have an easy connection to stuff they like. Even if
there is only one for every 2 months ,  and if it just gives an overview
of the most interesting news from TB blogs, Council decisions etc.

Harry