Vision for Thunderbird [Resent from desktop]

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 11:46:33 UTC 2018

[Resent, as apparently replying from gmail on my Samsung Galaxy caused a bounce]

> So, considering quite some others may use TB in the same way, it could be a good
> idea to display the donation page**after each update process of TB*- * in the same
> way as the "new version fixes" are being displayed as of now.
> ..
> That is, in a separate tab or a separate window.
I like these suggestions. I am successfully using content tabs like this with my Add-ons.

Another thing to consider for the default case (landing page): if we always show the
same appeal to donation on the landing page it will soon not be actively perceived
anymore. So if it could change once in a while by having different layout / wording /
picture (?) - think of SEO principles of content fresh - it will make a bigger impact.
The landing page is literally like a free mailing list, but without the Spam, and no
need for advertising anything else as the product we know our users already are using.
This is an enormous difference to any other type of marketing as  you do not have to
deliver / install / convincing of the product anymore, all the hard work is done.

Think of it as a squeeze page but without stopping the user from doing their work.

Another good thing would be if we could have an optional sign on for regular "
Thunderbird Patrons" who could choose to see something alternative on their landing
page (e.g. their company logo). I am giving 5 Euro / month to Thunderbird and don't
really get anything back other than paypal receipts. How about a monthly newsletter?

Maybe the last one is just an ideas for the community manager, if you need someone for
marketing I can come up with more ideas - we are trying to do this with a new online
shop (eleectronic gadgets) at the moment but getting customers in the door is
incredibly hard. Seeing that the Thunderbird user base is growing steadily without
much marketing is also an encouraging sign - I say monetize, improve and then grow in
that order.

   Axel

Music Production and Composition
<https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/quickfolders-tabbed-folders/>,