MailExtensions API

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 12:06:17 UTC 2018

Dear Ben,

on the detail of UI, thanks for starting the conversation.

There are many many many more places where Add-ons expand UI - you listing just a few
probably shows that even you may underestimate the problem.

Let's take the account manager -Add-ons still need a way to add decks and modify
existing ones. The Filter list - add-ons need a way to extend the search interface and
add toolbars. The filter editor - Add-ons need a way to add new UI elements and code.
Even if XUL is scrapped Add-on will need a way to interfere with the dialog document
tree possibly just with DOM methods. Many Add-ons need a way to create (floating)
dialogs that are not restricted to a single tab. If you have an Add-on that styles the
main interface you need it's settings outside of a tab for instant feedback (because
the change more than likely may affect the 3pane window and can't be seen while
looking at an "options tab"). A floating dialog may also be used to things like
correction / lookup features in mail / composer content and ideally should not be
restricted to the window's client area. That's why I repeatedly asked about the future
of non-modal windows (Thunderbird has plenty of these).

Also will we still be able to add custom icons to the folder tree?

just a few of my   UI thoughts...
   Axel

Music Production and Composition
<https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/quickfolders-tabbed-folders/>,