THANK YOU! -- re: The Thunderbird Project is hiring ... and you are the first to know ;-)

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 09:20:52 UTC 2018

Dear Mike,

PR / Marketing for Thunderbird is badly needed. In my experience a
developer is not a good choice for communicating these points. I was
thinking  for a while this may be something our community manager could
handle, but even that may be not the right approach. As I understand the Tb
community has a different stake into the Thunderbird project than the whole
user base.

As a long term user and Add-ons Developer I have grown more and more
interested in end user communication (I have written thousands of emails
supporting my Add-on users to help them and find solutions to better use
our beloved Mozilla mail clients [TB,  Seamonkey, Postbox]) but what we
need is a general, public, easy to digest platform for regular PSAs about
the progress and future of the project.

I am also a (music) YouTuber for a number of year and opened up a small
channel (Thunderbird Daily) initially aimed at promoting and supporting
mail Add-ons. I would like to have more content in it that is of interest
to all Thunderbird users and have been looking for ways to answer exactly
the questions you asked. The hardest thing is to make predictions on what
is going to happen on behalf of Thunderbird such as "the UI is not going to
radically change" / "your add-ons are going to work in the future" /
"feature X is always going to be supported" even though I am very confident
about its future as desktop mail client.

Technical predictions and descriptions of completed work (such as bug fixes
/ implementation of mail standards)  are also hard to explain to a general
public, I believe people are generally more interested in features and work
flow improvements. So it's actually hard to pick something to tell them
that makes it obvious the project is progressing, and I am reluctant to
speak on behalf of Thunderbird without being sure that I have communicated
the correct and most important points.

I am offering my channel as a platform  to anyone who wants to communicate
to the general public about the future of Thunderbird. you can contribute
your own videos or give me a script or talking points that you would like
covered; I just not prepared to choose these points on my own.

I could also imagine makIng the info available in the form of an interview
/ google hangout (I have quite done a few of these) with Tb council members
which I could edit down to something digestible. You could contribute by
gathering a number of questions from the user's perspective.

I sincerely believe YouTube is a perfect platform for doing this kind of
PR, and I would love some input from the Tb Planning group and the
interested Thunderbird user base.

Axel