THANK YOU! -- re: The Thunderbird Project is hiring ... and you are the first to know ;-)

Mike Ramey miker206wa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 02:26:09 UTC 2018

Jörg Knobloch et al --

THANK YOU !!!

This is the first evidence I have seen in a looong time that Thunderbird
has a future.  I have been mentally composing a message to you asking:
"Kent -- Has the TB Council discussed what desktop email client they
will recommend to TB users when TB becomes un-maintainable?"  Really!
That question has tormented me for a couple months now, and caused me
anticipatory grief (I am _not_ joking here!) for the day when I must
either (a) fall back on the Gmail web UI, or switch to and learn another
desktop email client.  It reminded me of the sadness and anger I felt
when I lost UW-pine on *nix at Speakeasy via telnet.  No joke!  I still
miss a couple of features from UW-Pine.

Why am I telling you this?

Because I have sent you money (tho' not much), and I haven't heard _a
damn thing_ about what you've done with that money, and what you're
doing to keep TB alive into the future. So, it seems to me that one of
the duties of the proposed *_Thunderbird Software Engineer_* (or
someone!?) _must be_ to:

  * *Not less often than quarterly (every three months) you will inform
    all TB users of progress and plans (including successes and
    problems) for maintaining and extending TB (as a viable
    multi-platform communication tool) into the long-range future.*

Why?  Because TB will _not survive_ without the long-term commitment and
support (with money, and otherwise) of its users at both the enterprise
and individual level.  If you want support, you've got to earn it.  It's
not sufficient to 'do good work[s]' -- you must _be seen_ as 'doing good
work[s]' !!!  If you don't document it, it doesn't exist.

--Mike Ramey