Thunderbird Governance 2018 - Council Elections - method of conducting elections / nominating and voting

Goverenance TB governance at thunderbird.net
Fri Jan 19 04:02:20 UTC 2018

This email is followup to tb-planning post on 2017/11/9
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tb-planning/U7QniGGFepo (and
quoted  below), which  solicited community feedback about determining
the electorate and the method of voting. (It should be noted the wording
in that email was not consistent - in one place stated as "method of
conducting elections", and in another "nominating and voting.")

This email provides the council's proposals based on that feedback
including the rationale behind these proposals, and we request your
feedback on the proposals and rationale.

Four people emailed in tb-planning which you can read in this thread
(one of which was off topic), plus one person replied to
governance at thunderbird.net, quoted below [1] in the interest of full
disclosure.  The council had hoped for more feedback, but we are
certainly thankful for those that offered opinion and advice.  The
sample size is small, but the feedback might be summarized as a) the
process used was generally fair and worked well, b) maintain a public
process and c) broaden the electorate, with some emphasis on including
donors.  Additional comments worth highlighting

  * in the electorate discussion process, "candidates should be asked to
    not only introduce them self, but give answers to some of the
    burning questions Thunderbird is faced with." (yes, we can
    incorporate that)
  * in building the electorate, "I don't believe that we paid sufficient
    attention to making sure the electorate appropriately included all
    those who make significant contributions to Thunderbird...." (see
    below)

Council discussed this feedback.

Regarding broadening the electorate there are two key points:

  * Donors (of which there are 10,000) are of course extremely
    important, we understand the reasons people want to give donors a
    voice in this process, and we  have discussed this and other donor
    related issues several times in the past year.  But the challenges
    remain the same as in 2017, and so we *propose **not to include
    donors in this election cycle* for several reasons as follows... We
    do not have contact information for most donors, and it would be
    unfair to include some donors and not others (within reason). We
    don't have access to contribution amounts and therefore would be
    unable to set minimum requirements should that be deemed desirable.
    Lastly, the vast majority of donors are likely not familiar with
    project issues, and also likely do not have an interest in
    Thunderbird governance, making them a relatively uniformed and less
    than ideal population to include in the electorate.

  * Given the positive feedback on tb-planning, and the quality of the
    2017 electorate pool (which netted 110 names) we *propose **t**o
    target the same communities and use the 2017 criteria *[2], which
    requires 20 hours of contribution in a 2-year time period and
    includes the ability for people to self nominate.  We have
    considered last year's list [2] and have not found nor has anyone
    proposed additional communities (other than donors), but we would
    welcome more. _*I*__*f you know of any group (contributor, support
    venue, ...) missing from the list we are eager to hear about them -
    please send it to us with a suggested contact in the group, so it
    can be considered for possible inclusion.*_

Regarding electorate discussion and electorate voting, we *propose *to
use the same process which includes STV voting.  The reasons for doing
so are the positive feedback on tb-planning, the lack of complaints
expressed during the election process, no alternatives suggested to
council, and no better methodologies in council discussions.  See
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fuq11n3mmwOMfMp5RMHI9N0QPvx4RpIiZn9v4lJPPFw/edit#heading=h.32x43zap0qqf
previously posted by Gerv which describes last year's process.

Please see "Council Member Duties and Roles"
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v4bp_Nu96V343HiW5Qetq7lx0W5l5KOSSAy0bZcxQ14
which we have developed to help the community and electorate better
understand what it means to be on the council.

_*With respect to the above proposals, if anyone has additional
suggestions, *__*_*serious disagreement, *_ or need to discuss or ask
questions that have not been previously posted, please post them now in
public or email privately (your choice) so that we may consider them for
this round of elections.*_

The next email on elections will request your feedback on council size,
eligibility, and term overlaps.

Regards,
Wayne (writing for the governance committee)

[1] one feedback email received at governance at thunderbird.net

I think the last elections were held professionally and adequately. I
would think we should follow the same procedures.

I also agree with Gerv that the voting body should be expanded a little
to make sure we get all relevant contributors, and I would go even a
step further: we should also invite those who donated to Thunderbird (or
maybe a subset that donated more than a certain threshold) to vote.
(name withheld, because the feedback was not posted publicly)

[2] Electorate criteria - Contribute at least 20 hours in the timespan of two years. The idea is to admit people who have contributed to the Thunderbird project in any way, shape or form by

     Doing BMO triage
     Giving support on SUMO
     Sending patches
     Working on localisations
     Contributing add-ons to the ecosystem
     Helping the TB cause in Mozilla central
     Furthering the TB cause by constructive contributions to TB planning.
     Doing other things for TB, like public relations, blog post, social media, artwork, etc.

There is also the option to self-nominate in case we have overlooked someone in the published list.