Vision for Thunderbird

Mihovil Stanić mihovil at miho.im
Fri Feb 2 12:24:05 UTC 2018

02.02.2018 u 12:42, Gervase Markham je napisao/la:

> If a startup came to me and said:
>
> * We have a mail app with an old codebase which needs updating.
> * We'd like to turn it into:
>    * A modern desktop mail app that compares well to Outlook
>    * An Android mail client that compares well to K9
>    * An iOS mail client that compares well to Apple Mail
>    * A webmail solution that compares well to Gmail
>
> I would ask them "And how many hundreds of millions of dollars do you
> have, then?"
>
> There is no shame in not moving into another market segment because that
> segment is already well-served and it would be difficult to compete
> there. Thunderbird is the primary open source offering in its current
> market but has a number of issues which need addressing. I suggest that
> addressing those will already take more resources than the TB community
> has right now.
>
> There is rather more to producing good Android, iOS and Web software
> than "well, we wrote most of our codebase in HTML and JS".
>
> Gerv

I couldn't agree more.
My vision of Thunderbird is Gerv's frist point, "Modern desktop mail app
that compares well to Outlook".
When Thunderbird reaches that point, increases it's user base even more,
and gets to a point where community / developers are satisfied with
current state of project, then it should look to expand into another
market segment like Android / iOS app.

Even then, I think it's more productive to fork best open source app
there is and start from there, then to start from beginning.

Mihovil