uBlock Origin

Christian Riechers chriechers at aim.com
Tue Apr 24 18:03:33 UTC 2018

On 4/24/18 1:01 PM, Thomas Ludwig wrote:
> Hello,
>
> one of the most important add-ons for me in Thunderbird is uBlock Origin
> (which is one of the most popular add-ons for Firefox). It's way more
> powerful than other blockers (like Adblock Plus) as its Dynamic Filtering
>
> https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Dynamic-filtering:-quick-guide
>
> makes it possible to provide a very fine-grained control of what is
> allowed in RSS feeds and HTML mails. As a result it is, e.g., very
> effective in stopping email tracking.
>
> The legacy version of uBlock Origin works well in Thunderbird 52.x but
> obviously no longer in Thunderbird 60 beta (see
> https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/3698). Unfortunately, its
> author gorhill says that support for the legacy version for Thunderbird
> will not happen (see
> https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/117#issuecomment-381641188).
>
> On the other hand according to
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Add-ons_Guide_57 webextension
> support is not yet available.
>
> This leads to the unfortunate situation that the legacy version of uBO
> will soon *no longer* work while the webextension version will *not yet*
> work in Thunderbird.
>
> So my question is: Can someone modify the legacy version to make it work
> in TB 60? I know that Jörg has done this for some other add-ons -
> perhaps he can step in here, too? This would be highly appreciated :-)
>
> The latest legacy version is avialable from
> https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases as uBlock0.firefox.xpi.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Thomas

The same basically is true for AdblockPlus. But one of the Eyeo
developers outright refused to work on this.
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/6028#comment:7

I'm not a developer, but given the version of the Adblock Plus extension
still working in TB52 already is an embedded web extension, I'd expect
no groundbreaking changes are needed to get it going again for TB60.

May be the TB council can approach Eyeo and try to convince them to
produce a working version for TB60?

Reading RSS feeds with TB from news sites is unbearable without an
Adblocker, as new browser tabs with 1-pixel images pop up all over the
place.

Not having a working adblocker in TB60 also would be a kind of blow to
Thunderbird's reputation as an email client protecting a users privacy.

This isn't a made up scenario, even Bruce Schneier has commented on this
privacy issue not too long ago.
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2017/10/e-mail_tracking.html
Thanks.