Fx57 Browser Bustage Explanation and Workarounds (Video)

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 01:44:42 UTC 2017

Dear Tito,

make sure you leave that question in a comment on the video! Not everyone follows
Tb-Planning.

In short, no decision to drop XPCOM access to Thunderbird Add-ons has been made. We
probably need to move away from it in the long term. I didn't want to make the video
longer by mentioning the costly technologies (SDK, APIs, bootstrapped) developed on
the Firefox side to offer alternatives, now we are at web extensions and a lot of the
functionality can simply not be covered by the new interfaces.

To get a feel for the functionality lost in /Firefox/ alone, take a look at the
interface list under

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Comparison_with_XUL_XPCOM_extensions#Privileged_APIs

Everything that's listed as WebExtensions equivalent = NONE is probably cause for an
extension or two being currently unportable.

The mail code base is even bigger and more complex as there are a load of specific
interfaces that would  need to be supported. The other thing is that the UI is a _lot_
larger than that of Firefox, and porting all that to content HTML (let's say if XUL is
dropped) is a big job. Like I said in the video, writing XUL overlays is a lot easier
than manipulating a DOM tree, building interfaces piece-meal.

I am not sure that the sandbox model would really help use Add-on developers very
much, we do like to interface with objects such as messages / filters / folders /
GLODA directly and all that stuff is fairly privacy sensitive. This also opens another
can of worms because if Mozilla (who already are working on offloading the hosting of
THunderbird / SeaMonkey Addons from AMO) wants to go towards automatic reviews similar
to google's store, we will have to create our own independent review team for legacy
Addons. I would obviously volunteer for reviewing Mail Add-ons as I have a few years
experience.

Thunderbird is currently a very desktop-centric App, that's why the XUL model still
works very well. My personal choice would be to keep it that way as long as possible,
I don't really trust cloud-based interfaces as they change too rapidly and too much
based on trust and service stability.  ANyway getting late here, if you ask the
question at the video I will give a short answer there, but I would love to hear the
council's current perspective on it.

Axel

Music Production and Composition
<https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/quickfolders-tabbed-folders/>,