Are most of the existing add-ons being sacrificed due to adding support for WebExtension?

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Wed Nov 22 16:53:48 UTC 2017

I agree both with Eric's outrage, and Jörg's explanation of the matter.
It's a pity, but it's coming from upstream. There's not much we can do
about it. That said, there is something:

Jörg Knobloch wrote on 22.11.17 07:36:
> The only alternative to following the interface changes is to fork a
> version where most add-ons still work.

There are other options. We can maintain a slightly modified version of
Mozilla that undoes (reverts) the breaking changes. However, each time
we update (that is, daily), and Mozilla changes the same code places, we
break and need to adapt the changes. That's work. The bigger our
changes, the more work it is.

So, it's a trade-off. There are some breaking upstream changes that we
can easily undo, and that will save work for many addon authors, and I
think that can be a good idea. Then, there are other changes that will
require substantial maintenance on our side, but affects only few
addons. There, the addon authors need to update. It's a balance act and
each case needs to be decided individually.

Ben