Re: Are most of the existing add-ons being sacrificed due to adding support for WebExtension?

Aceman acelists at atlas.sk
Wed Nov 22 10:42:37 UTC 2017

Hi, actually Firefox 57 is already released as stable. It artificially killed all old/XUL addons and only WebExtension addons work. I would have lost 80% of my Fx addons if I upgraded to 57. Yes, 59a1 is the nightly development version (as is TB).

So it is an achievement that the old/XUL addons still work in Thunderbird 57 and 58 (because we didn't implement the artificial blocks, in contrast to Firefox).
So all the "breakage" of addons in TB is due to changed/removed interfaces, but addon authors can adapt/workaround those (for now).
Only TB 59 has some critical features lost (again due to Firefox/toolkit removals), that we need to find an answer for (or addons would need to drop some features, but still would continue to work).