Thunderbird Governance 2018 - Council Elections

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Nov 13 23:37:38 UTC 2017

On 10/11/17 23:35, Matt Harris wrote:
> I think that the involvement of a voting public is a great idea, but I
> have concerns this mailing list is not the way to go, or representative
> of anything more than a small group who managed to jump the hurdles of
> an obscure Mozilla mailing list subscription.

It has never been the case for any council election, as far as I am
aware, that the electorate has been defined as "subscribers to tb-planning".

> There is a substantial mailing list of financial contributors.  Why is
> it not a better "list" of those eligible for a vote?

Because most of them will have no idea who the candidates are, and I
suspect most of them will not be interested in voting.

> I would think a process similar to the one used by the Mozilla
> Foundation to replace their board members might be more appropriate
> really.

You mean get a BDFL to choose someone, whose qualities are then
discussed publicly?

Gerv