Thunderbird Governance 2018 - Council Elections

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Nov 10 15:26:22 UTC 2017

On 09/11/17 22:01, Goverenance TB wrote:
> In this message we are looking for your feedback on the 2018 election
> process, namely nominating and voting for council members.  Feedback
> will be reviewed by the council, the results summarized back to the
> community and used by the Thunderbird Council to inform the process to
> be used in the 2018 election.Please send feedback (idea or concern) with
> subject "Thunderbird Governance 2018 - Council Elections" (the subject
> of this email) to governance at thunderbird.net, *NOT tb-planning*.

I think it should be acceptable, if people choose, for them to share
their feedback in a public forum also so a discussion can develop.

I believe that the electoral process used in 2017 was adequate and
appropriate, with one exception, detailed below. I think the methods of
nomination and voting, and the systems used, all worked well. Here is a
document with more details of last year's process:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fuq11n3mmwOMfMp5RMHI9N0QPvx4RpIiZn9v4lJPPFw/edit

We ended up doing ranked choice voting using Scottish STV, with the help
of the "OpaVote" website. All of that worked fine.

The one exception is that I don't believe that we paid sufficient
attention to making sure the electorate appropriately included all those
who make significant contributions to Thunderbird. I do not have
examples of excluded communities; I am making this judgement based on
the amount of time spent on the problem in 2016/2017, and my perceptions
at the time. My proposal would be to make sure, in good time, we have a
wider discussion about where to find contributors and how to evaluate
their contributions, so we can have a better go at defining an
appropriately-broad electorate.

(Declared interest: I designed and ran the 2017 electoral process.)

Gerv