Thunderbird Governance 2018 - Council Elections

Goverenance TB governance at thunderbird.net
Thu Nov 9 21:01:58 UTC 2017

The Thunderbird Council
<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/Thunderbird#Thunderbird_Council> is
asking the community for feedback about Thunderbird governance, which
will be considered in designing the future of the council.  We encourage
you to help publicize this effort by posting this message in its
entirety in other venues frequented by Thunderbird users.

We are splitting our requests for feedback into manageable pieces, each
of which will cover different aspects of governance. This is the first
message of a short series over the coming weeks. This first request is
for feedback specifically on the *method of conducting elections*.
  Future messages will cover other topics, for example composition of
the Council.

Background - Past Elections

The following is a summary of past elections.  To date three councils
have been elected, each using a different process.  In 2014 the first
Thunderbird Council of seven was elected
<https://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2014/11/thunderbird-reorganizes-at-2014-toronto-summit/>
by a typical nomination process of those present and simple majority
vote at a fall summit meeting of 22 very active Thunderbird contributors.

In fall 2015 discussion began in tb-planning for the second council, in
such subjects as  "Council Elections" and "Reorganizing the Council",
with a goal of having the community elect the council.  Voting in
February 2016 used the following process
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tb-planning/7RdupcgF-8w/lV88TzYbFQAJ>,
"The existing Council will serve as a nominating committee, and recruit
candidates who agree to serve on a renewed Council. (This could be
existing Council members or new people.) This slate of candidates would
then be presented to tb-planning for a single vote [by anyone active on
tb-planning], much like the one a year ago, to see if there is
consensus.".  The slate and voting process was announced
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tb-planning/qe9nSci89rY/Tlit7oZXFgAJ>,
and the results also posted on tb-planning
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21topic/tb-planning/FMBkc7wYmDQ>.

In 2017 the third council election process
<https://groups.google.com/forum/embed/#%21topic/tb-planning/Fq6qggT6IMo>
established a public list of electors, who are active project
contributors per criteria defined by the Council.  Electors discussed on
the tb-election mailing list, and then nominated and voted to seat seven
council members using “ranked choice” with the STV method. Results were
announced on tb-planning
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21topic/tb-planning/5QNL06qVY4g>. The
election was run by volunteers who were not members of the council. The
council was pleased with the results, and there were no major complaints
from the community.

2018 Elections

In this message we are looking for your feedback on the 2018 election
process, namely nominating and voting for council members.  Feedback
will be reviewed by the council, the results summarized back to the
community and used by the Thunderbird Council to inform the process to
be used in the 2018 election.Please send feedback (idea or concern) with
subject "Thunderbird Governance 2018 - Council Elections" (the subject
of this email) to governance at thunderbird.net, *NOT tb-planning*. Please
formulate your feedback as a problem statement
<http://www.aleanjourney.com/2009/11/defining-problem-statement.html>,
with or without a potential solution.

For example, you might offer feedback on defining the electorate, as in
the past this has been a challenging aspect of the process.

"The electorate of 2017, while being inclusive, did not include
population X, and they should be included because of reason Y. And here
is how you might identify or define this population...”

Additionally, we encourage you to respond if you think the previous
procedure used was adequate, so we can properly gauge the opinion of the
community for electing the Council.

Please send your response by Monday November 20.  Please post this
message in its entirety in other venues frequented by Thunderbird users.

Thank you for your interest in Thunderbird.

The Thunderbird Council