Skepticism about a new Electron-based product

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at hsivonen.fi
Fri May 12 14:43:15 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 5:08 PM, Philipp Kewisch
<kewisch at thunderbird.net> wrote:
> Moving forward to the electron proposal, the way I understood it was
> that Thunderbird Next should be written in a way that the components
> could run on native platform containers, including but not limited to
> electron.

I've been asked off-list where I even got the notion that Thunderbird
was considering Electron.
https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-planning/2017-April/005508.html
put Electron first and mentioned Gecko as the last item with the
remark "mostly for historical reasons". Additionally,
https://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2017/05/thunderbirds-future-home/
said "we hope to be independent from Gecko in the long term" and
"Thunderbird will remain a Gecko-based application at least in the
midterm" which I read in the context of the earlier Electron remarks
on this list.

(FWIW, I originally wrote a reply to the thread I linked to above, but
the moderator didn't want me to hijack a thread, hence the lack of
reply quoting for context in my email.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at hsivonen.fi