Thunderbird.next/TB:NG/whateveritscalled Feature request/idea

Martin Iturbide martiniturbide at gmail.com
Mon May 8 03:13:09 UTC 2017

Hi.

Allow me to disagree. E-mail was the "killer application" when the internet
started, everybody wanted the internet at that time to have e-mail. Now
times has changed, check how the millennials are using the e-mail now, they
mostly use it because it is a requirement to register to social media.

If we only want Thundebird to "read e-mail", that's fine, but that is what
it is doing right now. If Thunderbird will only focus on e-mail we are just
putting some nails on the project coffin. Maybe reading e-mail can be the
initial short term goal while the project changes architecture, but it will
be better if Thunderbird can be turned into a "collaboration platform" in
the long term future than just a "read e-mail" tool.

Maybe today we see millions of downloads of Thunderbird and
people/organization using it, but that can change very fast based on how
the internet works.

Regards

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 9:53 PM, Ben Bucksch <ben.bucksch at beonex.com> wrote:

> Philipp Kewisch wrote on 07.05.2017 14:38:
>
>> thanks for making suggestions, we appreciate your support! While I can
>> certainly imagine integrations with third party services and software in
>> the future, I think we should concentrate on the core functionality first (
>> like, reading email :D ) Once we are further down the line we can consider
>> such integrations.
>>
>> However, the next version of Thunderbird will be designed in a way that
>> it would be easy to hook in new features, either through add-ons or as core
>> code. If done right, such integrations could also be contributed by the
>> community.
>>

> Exactly. That's the plan.
>
> Ben

Martín Itúrbide