Thunderbird.next/TB:NG/whateveritscalled Feature request/idea

Martin Iturbide martiniturbide at gmail.com
Sat May 6 13:54:55 UTC 2017

Hi

I had started to use riot.im some weeks ago and it is a keeper for me. With
all the hipsters using discord and slack, I wanted something open source
that can it be at the same level, I found that riot (and using free service
matrix.org) was very good for me. I have some chat channels and some
connected to IRC freenode. The chat bots are decent and easy enought to
use. And with riot.im being available on Android, Windows, iOS and web I'm
connected everytime.

It is a good idea. Right now Thunderbird chat function is very limited,
slow and has a confusing GUI. Maybe some mix between riot and pidgin IM can
be eventually think to improve the Thunderbird chat functions.

Regards

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 9:34 PM, Qwerty Chouskie <asdfghrbljzmkd at outlook.com>
wrote:

> I keep thinking I should write some really good, convincing email, but I
> keep not doing it, so I'll just make it simple.
>
> Is there any chance of Thunderbird.next/TB:NG/whateveritscalled having
> riot.im integration?
>
>    - It's open, privacy-friendly, etc.
>    - It's well made
>    - It's written using Web technologies (Javascript, etc), and runs in
>    the browser
>    - It could ease the implementation of the chat component by providing
>    a solid base, thus only needing to implement other protocols (IRC, XMPP,
>    twitter, etc) on top of it
>    - It would make TB:NG
> *more than just another email client.  It would be an email
>    client+"Slack"+"Google Hangouts" all on one free, privacy-friendly,
>    easy-to-use program. *
>
> I think riot.im integration could bring a lot to the table for both
> Thunderbird and roit.im.  Thunderbird already sees a lot of corporate
> use, think of how much more it could see if it served the role of a email
> program *and* a messaging program (Slack) *and* a voice/video
> communications program (Google Hangouts, Skype, etc).  Less programs to
> keep up-to-date, less accounts to deal with, no messy EULAs to deal with,
> easier for everyone in the end.
>
> TB:NG would be more than just another email program, it would be an Free,
> privacy-friendly communications hub.
>
> -QwertyChouskie
> Thunderbird user

Martín Itúrbide