[Council Meeting] Thunderbird Projects, Community Manager Update, Financial Home

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Fri May 5 16:47:34 UTC 2017

On 5/4/2017 3:02 PM, Jacob's PC Tune-up wrote:

> > They don’t have internet access to find solutions on Stack Overflow.
>
> Data dumps from all the the Stack Exchange sites can be downloaded at
> https://archive.org/details/stackexchange
>
> It's not all of the internet, but it should be useful for most questions.
>
> -QwertyChouskie

We are hoping to do this, and I actually spent a few weeks getting the
offline version setup with search.

The issue is that the prison administration does not want anything
brought inside that contains information on how to exploit computer
systems. Plus they make the usual error of non-technical people and
conflate the term "hack" with exploitation, so that a reference to
"Hacker News" or "Hacker Noon" or a casual reference to hacking
something will flag their search algorithms. It is a non-trivial effort
to remove from a public archive actual articles on exploitation, while
"sanitizing" safe articles from their search algorithms. The rules are a
bizarre mix of legitimate safety concerns, with CYA excesses
administered by people who really know nothing about computers. Yet I
have some sympathy for them, the taxpayers are not exactly willing to
fund computer consultants who understand this stuff to review what
strange efforts like mine want to do.

:rkent