[Council Meeting] Thunderbird Projects, Community Manager Update, Financial Home

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Fri May 5 07:34:49 UTC 2017

> *Subject:*[Council Meeting] Thunderbird Projects, Community Manager Update,
> Financial Home

this is amazing. I think this a great example for an unexpected way that open source
can do something good in the world.

My hats off to you Kent!

> Of course the method of development is quite different than you’d expect from the
> average contributor. The inmates cannot search for documentation until they have
> found out how the tools work. They don’t have internet access to find solutions on
> Stack Overflow. They cannot interact with the Thunderbird community through bugzilla
> or mailing lists to ask questions. When committing patches, they cannot just push to
> hg.mozilla.org. Kent will be gathering the required documentation, teaching the
> inmates the tools of the trade, pre-reviewing the code and will serve as an
> intermediate to get their work into the product.
>

> It is most important that there is public record of each inmate’s contributions,
> this will be their reference when applying for jobs. Therefore each contributor will
> commit their work using a separate account that Kent will operate on their behalf. I
> think this is a very exciting project and am eager to hear more about their progress.

Sounds difficult, with the added limitations on working offline. Thanks again Kent for
investing the time in this - you should probably have an intern helping you!

> Next we discussed the community manager position. We have made progress in defining
> the role, but there is still some disagreement as to which parts of the role will
> pay off. We do agree that having someone on this role will help amplify our
> community and ensure that willing volunteers have all the tools they need to get
> started. The job requisition will be updated after some final discussions via email,
> I will send you the link as soon as possible.

Good news. My most important questions: are you still thinking of this being a part
time offer?

Axel