[Council Meeting] Thunderbird Projects, Community Manager Update, Financial Home

Jacob's PC Tune-up asdfghrbljzmkd at outlook.com
Thu May 4 22:02:53 UTC 2017

> They don’t have internet access to find solutions on Stack Overflow.

Data dumps from all the the Stack Exchange sites can be downloaded at https://archive.org/details/stackexchange

It's not all of the internet, but it should be useful for most questions.

-QwertyChouskie

On 05/04/2017 11:52 AM, Philipp Kewisch wrote:

Hello Community,

Time flies when you are discussing Thunderbird -- Lightning fast (ba dum tss). We had another meeting last Friday discussing the the hiring situation and the financial home announcement. Sorry for the delay in posting this, tomorrow is our next meeting already.

To start off, Kent gave us some insights into a project he is working on that relates to Thunderbird. He is working with a group of inmates at Clallam Bay Corrections Center in an effort to improve their chances of gaining employment after their sentences have ended.

They will be working on Thunderbird and Lightning in an effort to modernize the code, essentially helping us in our efforts to secure Thunderbird’s future. The tasks will start fairly small by converting existing code (e.g. use of ES6 classes, async/await instead of Task.jsm), the level you’d expect as a good first bug. Afterwards they will be working on more complicated issues.

Of course the method of development is quite different than you’d expect from the average contributor. The inmates cannot search for documentation until they have found out how the tools work. They don’t have internet access to find solutions on Stack Overflow. They cannot interact with the Thunderbird community through bugzilla or mailing lists to ask questions. When committing patches, they cannot just push to hg.mozilla.org. Kent will be gathering the required documentation, teaching the inmates the tools of the trade, pre-reviewing the code and will serve as an intermediate to get their work into the product.

It is most important that there is public record of each inmate’s contributions, this will be their reference when applying for jobs. Therefore each contributor will commit their work using a separate account that Kent will operate on their behalf. I think this is a very exciting project and am eager to hear more about their progress.

Next we discussed the community manager position. We have made progress in defining the role, but there is still some disagreement as to which parts of the role will pay off. We do agree that having someone on this role will help amplify our community and ensure that willing volunteers have all the tools they need to get started. The job requisition will be updated after some final discussions via email, I will send you the link as soon as possible.

As a side note, our position for a build engineer is still open. We have received almost 50 applications and will soon triage them to see if there are viable candidates. If you are interested, or know someone who could be a good fit, this does not mean you shouldn't apply. Be confident, I am sure you are at least as awesome as those that have applied.

Finally, we had some concluding discussions on our financial home announcement. Our position has not changed, but we made some minor changes to ensure that the post accurately conveys our decision and reflects recent discussions with involved parties. These changes needed a final sign-off before we can publish, we will make the announcement shortly.

Philipp -- on behalf of the Thunderbird Council