Donations

Tito f.disclosure at gmail.com
Tue May 2 08:56:55 UTC 2017

30 or 3000 euros let the user decide. What comes into a mind is the way
how Wikipedia is doing it i.e. you decide by yourself how much money you
want to donate. The best part is if you are in EU you can write off all
you have given from your taxes, and thus some people give 5 and some
500. In reality you then write this off and the end of the fiscal year.
Wikipedia is even sending you a an letter and the end of the fiscal year
in order to prof that you have donated X amount of euros. What I see as
a challenge it so make sure that those letters will be sent to the
people donated the money back to them since this is kind or a
requirement in EU. In such cases Wikipedia manages to gather 5 millions
in days, and that each year! What should NOT be done under any
circumstances is a payed version of Thunderbird or any other
advertisements shit since that will kill it.

@Alex  "sales weeks" i really do not like that idea. This will not fly
especially not in Europe. Let first the user decide how much he is ready
to spend. I.e.  build a web service that TB calls  in the beginning of
the fiscal year that show how much money the project needs for example X
million per year (i.e. no advertisements) and show how much is already
gathered on every start of TB. In the moment the money a gathered then
close it and never show it again till the next year. Let us first see
how much can be gathered that way.

Plugin developers  have a right to demand money for their work and this
does not have anything to do  open source. This is work. I fully agree
with those opinions below. The thing is that as many commercial projects
there are around TB as greater the chance that one of them will support
back TB financially, or with code or with infrastructure or anything
else i.e. fixing bugs that help them get some new functionality etc.

Tito