Donations

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Mon May 1 19:19:55 UTC 2017

> *Subject:*Donations (was: My comment on Exchange Calendar as it applies to financial
> issues of Thunderbird)

I agree in principal. Let's look at the Patreon model
> They should be in the area of $30/year or so. If 1 in 1000 of our users does that,
> we have already significant progress.

I think that is too much. Postbox has recently switched to a lifetime license (but
only for version 5) for less. While I think that there are quite a few users who would
accept this sort of payment I would bet you would also find many more supporting
Thunderbird with10$ or 5$ / year. If there were different support levels like on
Patreon (and we could debate on some perks such as blog notifications, downloads of
debates, Youtube videos , workshops) it might be possible to pull of a more nuanced
variety of monetisation.

I think a monthly model with 1$, 2$ or 5$ levels might also make some sense, because
it is more dependable in regards of hiring developers and a lower risk commitment on
the part of the users.

Another possibility would be something like sales weeks (e.g. black Friday, Holiday
sales) where a cheaper "license" could be obtained.

As  one of the few Addon authors who monetises I would also be open to handing out
vouchers for cheaper licenses to anyone who supports Thunderbird Core with a donation.

Axel