Thunderbird 52.x and Thunderbird 45.x

Wayne Mery vseerror at lehigh.edu
Mon May 1 02:23:24 UTC 2017

We've been quiet until now about 52.x plans. Perhaps too quiet.

The initial release notes at
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.0/releasenotes/ are
impressive, but there are still a few issues we want fixed before
rolling 52 out to all users. Therefore automatic updates from 45.x are
not currently enabled. (But 45.x users can update using Help > About)

The current plan (subject to change) is to enable automatic updates at
52.1.1, assuming we get the fixes we need. The release sequence that
gets us there is:

52.1.0 - released today [1] picks up some fixes from 53.0b1
54.0b1 - will fix https://mzl.la/2q8Bjqh
52.1.1 - will pick up some fixes from 54.0b1
54.0b2 - might come before 52.1.1 if 54.0b1 doesn't get all the fixes
          we need for 52.1.1
(astute subscribers of tb-enterprise will notice the order is different
than was recently communicated at tb-enterprise - n.b. plans are subject
to change)

Automatic updates from 45.x have not been enabled in part because of a
#1 ranked startup crash that affects a significant percentage of 52.x
users running McAfee Anti-Spam Extension. McAfee indicate they have a
fix, but we don't have an ETA for release. So as of Friday version 2 of
their addon is hard blocklisted in Thunderbird versions 52 and newer.
Please contact McAfee if you have an issue.

Please note 52's higher minimum system requirements:
• Window: Windows XP SP3**, Windows Server 2003 or later
• Mac: Mac OS X 10.9 or later
• Linux: GTK+ 3.4 or higher
** XP users are offered only version 38.x when using download pages, but
from there Thunderbird update will get you to get to newer versions.

Because we will soon enable updates from 45 to 52, we do not plan on
building and releasing 45.9.0.

If you can use betas to help us improve the 52.x releases that will be
appreciated. Download from
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/channel/