Proposal to start a new implementation of Thunderbird based on web technologies

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Fri Mar 31 12:02:18 UTC 2017

Jim wrote on 31.03.2017 06:00:
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Ben Bucksch <ben.bucksch at beonex.com
> <mailto:ben.bucksch at beonex.com>> wrote:
>
>     I think we'll support IMAP from the start. I already have a
>     partial, read-only implementation of IMAP and POP3 in JavaScript.
>     Of course it's just a start, but it shows it's feasible.
>

> Have you looked at GELAM[1]? It should have a fairly-complete JS
> implementation of IMAP, POP3, and ActiveSync (although actually
> *using* ActiveSync in a product may require licensing fees). There's
> also glodastrophe[2], which might be a good jumping-off point for a
> JS-powerd email client.

Yes, thank you. I'm aware of it, and I'm trying to get it to run (so far
unsuccessfully).

GELAM/gaia/glodastrophe, emailjs.org, and my first-hand experiences of
implementing IMAP and other IETF protocols in JS in very little time,
make me hopeful that this is the success path, rather than trying to
reuse code from 1995.

Ben