Tree widget

Robert Kaiser kairo at kairo.at
Mon Mar 27 19:48:27 UTC 2017

Ben Bucksch schrieb:
> Matt Harris wrote on 24.03.2017 18:27:
>> /I think all this relies on a powerful replacement for the XUL
>> treeview.  Do we have one now?
>> /
>
> Indeed, this is needed.
>
> I've once found a "fast-list" or similar on github, that goes in that
> direction. But no, we don't have it now. As mentioned, I have a plan
> how to do it, but I haven't realized it yet. That's one of the things
> we'd need to create as part of the framework.
>
> That problem is inherent, because the XUL <tree> widget was originally
> written specifically for Thunderbird. Firefox didn't need it. And it
> might also go away now, if Firefox doesn't need it anymore.

FWIW, I think a lot of the web would profit from a widget like that - so
if we can implement something like it as e.g. a web component, I think
there may be some interest in taking this as a base for a web standard
with an in-browser widget in the future - IMHO, this is one of the
biggest pieces HTML is lacking to become a really useful UI language
nowadays.

KaiRo