Proposal to start a new implementation of Thunderbird based on web technologies (Ben Bucksch)

Eric Moore emoore at fastmail.fm
Fri Mar 24 19:00:12 UTC 2017

I didn't notice any mention of add-ons in your proposal. Why not? A lot
of what makes Thunderbird so useful is the large collection of add-ons
written by users.

Would there be any migration path for existing add-on developers?

Would the replacement add-on API support most of the existing
capabilities using different technologies, or would it be very limited
like the WebExtensions API is? I noticed for example that Nylas N1
(which uses Electron and Node) flattened all of my folder hierarchies
just like smartphone email apps do, they didn't appear to have as good
widget support as I expected.

Would a add-on work with different front ends?