Outreach to end users

Juergen Fenn jfenn at gmx.net
Wed Mar 22 20:18:13 UTC 2017

Am 22.03.17 um 12:17 Uhr schrieb Ben Bucksch:
>> https://www.heise.de/forum/heise-Security/News-Kommentare/Thunderbird-Mozilla-schliesst-mit-Sicherheitsupdate-kritische-Luecken/Etwas-OT-Thunderbird-auf-dem-Abstellgleis/posting-29724164/show/
>>

> I've read through the green forum articles (I'm myself German and a
> vivid reader of heise news), and the bottom line of the posts is:
> Thunderbird is old, has shortcomings, but it's nonetheless the best we
> got. Mozilla wants to get rid of TB, the TB community is doing the best
> they can to keep the ship above water. Good summary?
>
> So, the problem is deeper than marketing. We need to free ourselves from
> Mozilla dependency and revigorate, revitalize the development. Make a
> fresh start. That's exactly what I want to do, and why I wanted to be on
> the council. Everybody, please help us with that. We need you and your
> energy and enthusiasm, and your work and active help.

Of course the problem goes deeper, but you had asked for advice on how
to communicate best with end users, not on what to change behind the
scenes in the first place. ;)

I second the advice to get rid of the Firefox framework and to hand this
on to the media.

You should select the most important news outlets for TB and contact
directly the people responsible for reporting on email clients. AFAICS,
this is what LibreOffice did with some success over the years. Try to
tell them the story of how Thunderbird became independent from Firefox,
step by step. Set up a roadmap, tell about this process from the very
start, and report on every step you've made.

Best regards,
Jürgen.