Outreach to end users

Juergen Fenn jfenn at gmx.net
Wed Mar 22 06:38:06 UTC 2017

Am 22.03.17 um 01:45 Uhr schrieb Ben Bucksch:
> Do you have some suggestions, other than a new website?

Ben, I think the most important challenge for Thunderbird is to re-build
trust. I am quite grateful that there still are enough developers taking
the burden to keep TB going, but, as it seems, Firefox is going ahead
strong and it is not easy to catch up and keep TB building with all
those changes in Firefox recently and in the near future.

Klaus has addressed the issue of what future there is for add-ons.
Imagine TB without any add-ons! :(

Please have a look at discussions like this in a German forum, I hope
you can read this via Translate Google etc.:

https://www.heise.de/forum/heise-Security/News-Kommentare/Thunderbird-Mozilla-schliesst-mit-Sicherheitsupdate-kritische-Luecken/Etwas-OT-Thunderbird-auf-dem-Abstellgleis/posting-29724164/show/

This shows quite well that it's not only about TB, it's about Mozilla's
future in general. Where are we going? The free web is gradually
disappearing with the appearance of apps, and most users do not know how
to use an email client at all. And Mozilla has discontinued TB, hasn't it?

This problem should be tackled in you PR work in the first place. Then
turn to issues such as surveillance and privacy, then usability and
productivity.

Best regards,
Jürgen.