New account dialog

Wayne Mery vseerror at lehigh.edu
Wed Mar 22 01:47:18 UTC 2017

On 3/21/2017 8:26 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> Blake Winton wrote on 21.03.2017 16:34:
>> I see a few people making the claim that everyone already has an
>> account, and expects Thunderbird to just download their existing
>> email, but the user research that Mozilla Messaging did found exactly
>> the opposite, which was what lead to the development of the Get An
>> Account feature in the first place.
>
> Yes. I don't doubt that you found that people expected that. But that's
> explained easily in a different way:
>
> Onno wrote:
>  > This is especially necessary, since people don't always realize what
> an email client is or does
>  > and they don't understand the difference between the program and the
> mail address.
>
> I think Onno is spot-on. That also matches my personal experience with
> non-geeks. They just don't know what an email client is, and they cannot
> even imagine that it's possible to use Thunderbird with Hotmail. That's
> where their confusion and expectation comes from.
>
> Once they saw that it's possible to use their existing email addresses,
> and easy to set up, and much more convenient than logging to Hotmail,
> they were overjoyed and loved it. So, the conclusion is that we need to
> tell people that they can do this, and that this makes sense.
>
> That experience completely matches the market research you cite, just
> with a different reason (people misunderstood) and a different
> conclusion (we can do better than they expect).
>
>> As I remember it, we would have loved to add more account types, but
>> none of the providers we contacted were interested (with the obvious
>> exception of Gandi).
>
> Well, that's just the most obvious and practical reason: The dialog
> makes no sense with only Gandi there. But even if we had Hotmail and
> Gmail in there, I'd still think the patch is right.
>
> Why should we let people create a new email address? Who doesn't have
> one already?

You need to spend time in SUMO. :)

I can tell you in support we definitely see cases where the user thinks
Thunderbird will provide an email address. (Whether they already have
one is a different matter.)  Or a server. (As others have said)

A corollary, I've seen cases where the user has an email but they are
not happy with it/not happy with the provider, and looking for something
better.