New account dialog

Wayne Mery vseerror at lehigh.edu
Wed Mar 22 01:40:33 UTC 2017

On 3/21/2017 9:08 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> ace wrote on 22.03.2017 01:56:
>> Sorry, but the mockup is ambiguous again.
>
> It's not a mockup, that's real Thunderbird :).
>
>> How does the user know the
>> difference between "setup" (the dialog title) and "get a new account".
>
> Indeed, we should explain better what the dialog does. That the user can
> use their existing email address here. The dialog as-is doesn't make
> that clear, yes. That's maybe the capital mistake here, why users are
> confused.
>
> However, I think "Get a new account" is already fairly clear. I'd change
> it to "Register new email address...", though.

I don't normally participate in UI, but...

I think Klaus' point is if you show both choices on the same screen, in
full, then the user clearly sees what is needed to make both work, will
better understand what each is. And can then make a more informed choice
of which to use.  (Yeah, it's not a funnel.)

I also I think users less familiar with clients, and email in general,
don't think in terms of "accounts". They just have an email address, or
if they don't they know they need one.  And when they want to use the
email they say I'm going to log in to my email, not log in to my account.

So I generally like the direction of Klaus' wording, but I'd use wording
   Connect to existing email address  |  Create a new email address

and buttons which are consistent with the wording
   Connect  |  Create

By offering both in full, you don't need to care about which one needs
more prominence in the UI, nor care which should be offered first. And
we surely have the space to do it.

I suggest we skip the messy decisions about which one is more needed or
making assumptions about which might be more popular with users.