Outreach to end users

Disaster Master disasterlistmanager at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 16:07:08 UTC 2017

On 3/21/2017, 8:51:19 AM, Onno Ekker <o.e.ekker at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think one thing that should be improved, is setting up Thunderbird
> for the first time. As it is now, you immediately get a prompt to get
> an account for Gandhi, and the option to use an existing mail account
> is somewhat hidden. Most of the users do have an existing account
> though, provided by their ISP, so I think configuring Thunderbird for
> an existing mail account should be the default.

I agree...

Also, as for 'existing accounts', I don't know how easy it is, but
checking the system for 'default mail client', and if one (a real fat
mail client) exists like Outlook, Windows Mail, Apple Mail, etc, also
offer prominently to simply import their existing accounts with a single
click.

Or... maybe it already does this? It has been a long time since I've
done that for someone.

> Also if someone doesn't have an existing mail account or wants to
> setup a new account anyway, he should be served better than to be
> given the option to get an account for Gandhi. There are a couple of
> free mail providers, like Gmail of Hotmail, which have their own
> merits. A brief explanation of the differences between such a free
> account, an address with their ISP and a payed account and maybe a
> guide to help acquire an account for Gmail or Hotmail is the least we
> could do. This is especially necessary, since people don't always
> realize what an email client is or does and they don't understand the
> difference between the program and the mail address.

+1