New account dialog (was: Outreach to end users)

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Tue Mar 21 13:05:03 UTC 2017

Onno Ekker wrote on 21.03.2017 13:51:

> I think one thing that should be improved, is setting up Thunderbird
> for the first time. As it is now, you immediately get a prompt to get
> an account for Gandhi, and the option to use an existing mail account
> is somewhat hidden. Most of the users do have an existing account
> though, provided by their ISP, so I think configuring Thunderbird for
> an existing mail account should be the default.

Oh yes! Seconded!
It completely defeats the whole purpose of the entire "easy setup"
dialog, to hide it in a button.

That doesn't make any sense anymore. I'll try to get that changed. It
should simply be inverted: "Setup existing account" should be the first
dialog, and "new account" should be a button.

> Also if someone doesn't have an existing mail account or wants to
> setup a new account anyway, he should be served better than to be
> given the option to get an account for Gandhi. There are a couple of
> free mail providers, like Gmail of Hotmail, which have their own
> merits. A brief explanation of the differences between such a free
> account, an address with their ISP and a payed account and maybe a
> guide to help acquire an account for Gmail or Hotmail is the least we
> could do.

FWIW, that's how it's designed. The system is open to any provider who
wants to open it to us per API, including freemail. Gandi was the only
taker (I originally made the connection between them and Mozilla, back
then). That makes the whole dialog a kind-of non-starter, indeed.

> This is especially necessary, since people don't always realize what
> an email client is or does and they don't understand the difference
> between the program and the mail address.

Ironically, that's precisely why Mozilla originally added it. But I fear
they just added to the confusion, and blurred the whole meaning of an
email client - you use it with your existing email addresses.

Ben