Outreach to end users

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Tue Mar 21 00:00:43 UTC 2017

> They know what an email client is.

Correction: They do *not* know what an email client is.

Here are some other ideas, from a 2014 posting:

  * What are the values and benefits of Thunderbird? Why should I use
    it? E.g.:
      o All accounts in one place, takes only seconds to check for new mails
        My non-tech friends were simply *amazed* how easy and fast that
        is. They LOVED it.
      o Own your mails, have everything on your computer
        works offline, security, provider closing etc.
      o <insert here>
        Talk with new (!) Thunderbird users that you converted, why they
        like Thunderbird. If there's one thing that many people mention,
        add it to the list.
      o Make some webpages describing the above
  * Make a nice layout for the above webpages
    (This is for a web designer, different person from above, can be
    independent)
  * Reach out: Find new user groups
      o Talk to mainstream press
        (Traditional PR work)
      o Post on website/blog, Facebook page and Twitter regularly (same
        content):
          + new developments in Thunderbird
          + Articles explaining off useful features, one article per week
      o Encourage existing users to help friends to use Thunderbird
        (compare spreadfirefox.com <http://spreadfirefox.com>)

More ideas on the old etherpad:

https://old.etherpad-mozilla.org/thunderbird-marketing

Thunderbird Marketing

1. What are the values and benefits of Thunderbird? Why should I use it?

Our competitor is webmail, not Outlook. Describe why somebody who has never seen an email client should use it.
Talk with new (!) Thunderbird  users that you converted, why they like Thunderbird. If there's one thing that many people mention,  add it to the list.

New users:
  * All accounts in one place, takes only seconds to check for new mails -- My non-tech friends were simply amazed how easy and fast that is compared to webmail. They LOVED it.
  * Own your mails, have everything on your computer (pendrive with portable version)  -- works offline, security, provider closing etc.
  * Quicksearch
  * Free Software values: You own it. Freedom, security, privacy
  * Works nicely on slow or erratic networks
  *

Geeky features:
  * Addons: Hundreds of open source, high quality Addons to boost your productivity (list a few)
  * Chat: Built in, expandable Chat client for facebook, GTalk, Jabber, IRC
  * Tabbed Mail. Open an email for later use, Thunderbird remembers it
  * Integrated Calendar
  * HTML and CSS3 - use the latest layout features in you emails
  * Big file support out of the box
  * Customizable Interface (Theme Support)
  * Vibrant Help Community
  * Open Bug Database (none of the other competitors have this)
  * Encryption: GPG
  * Easy backup and restore

Make some webpages describing the above
Revise https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/features/ +1
Make a draft on Wiki

2. Regularly post new stuff

for normal users, not contributors
Can teach existing users new tricks.

About:
  * new developments in Thunderbird
  * Articles explaining useful (non-geek) features, one article per week
  * Featured Addon of the week
  * Youtube Channel "Thunderbird-workshop" shows how to use Tb and how Addons can make a difference

3. Make a nice layout for the above webpages
This is for a web designer, different person from above, can be independent

4. Reach out: Find new user groups

  * Talk to mainstream press (Traditional PR work)
  * News regularly: (content from point 2 above, same content everywhere)
    * website/blog
    * Thunderbird landing page
    * Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Thunderbird
    * Twitter
  * Encourage existing users to help friends to use Thunderbird (compare spreadfirefox.com)
  * Public Services (such as City and County Councils) could be convinced of the lower cost of ownership compared to Exchange, coupled with less lock-in into a particular back-end

5. Collaborate

in  spreading the word. There needs to be somebody taking the initiative,  but let everybody participate! The more minds the better