Outreach to end users

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Mon Mar 20 23:51:10 UTC 2017

Thank you, everybody, for electing me into the TB council.

One thing that we can do better is to reach out to end users. Some
people are already working hard to give end users support. Thank you for
that!

We should also try to find new users. Most people I know just use either
webmail or a smartphone app to read mail. They know what an email client
is. Once I installed Thunderbird for some "mom and dad" type users, they
were overjoyed: "I don't have to log in anymore. I just open Thunderbird
on my computer and boom! All my emails are there!" and "I have my 2
emails accounts both in the same place. No need to check several
websites. That saves so much time". For me, the 3 key reasons are:

  * efficient use
  * privacy
  * user empowerment

  0.1. How can we reach new users?

I have some ideas, but hopefully, you have more:

  * Introduction tutorials for new users of Thunderbird, e.g.
      o On the website, as explanations of the advantages of Thunderbird
        for end users. Not just the power user features like advanced
        filtering, but what Mom and Dad users get from an email client.
      o As videos on YouTube or WebM
  * A blog, Twitter account, Facebook: Posting new good developments of
    Thunderbird. E.g. the vote of the new council, any requests for
    contributors when we identified a need etc. Any new features,
    releases we did.
  * Organizing "onboarding parties", where existing local users and
    community members think of ways to make Thunderbird and the concept
    of an email client (in contrast to webmail) and its advantages known
    to a new group of users. Each group could find their own ways of
    doing that. We'd establish a mailing list to let these different
    regional groups can exchange experiences and ideas and material.

Questions:

  * How else could we get new Thunderbird users? Do you have any other
    ideas?
  * Who would like to get active, in one of the above tasks? It
    shouldn't just be a spur of the moment action, but a continuous
    nurturing of the communication channels.

We've discussed this in the past, and there've been people already
itching to help with this. This is great! Those of you who want to help,
please reply with what you want to help with. If you have already
pertinent experience, please include it.

Ben