The City Of Munich Now Wants To Abandon Linux And Switch Back to Windows - Slashdot

harry harry_cube at muenchen-mail.de
Mon Feb 13 07:06:58 UTC 2017

....probably most of the people that work for the munich administration
have a PC at home that runs Windows - and want that everything works
just the same way than at home.

Also, I read on heise.de that some leading employees wanted to install
by themselves Skype and M$ Office on their work laptops (also running on
Linux) - and were really angry that they couldn't get it done (Libre
Office was already installed) - the idea behind must have been that one
doesn't really have a word processing program on the machine when not
running M$ WORD.

Also, some people were unhappy that they had to wait 1 week for their
smartphone to be connected to their work e-mail account - as the
IT-person explained this was because an external mail server had to be
set up (whereas these people could connect the smartphone to the account
at the privat mail provider by themselves within some 15 minutes).  Here
again, the "problem" had  nothing to do with Linux.....

But the main reason seems to me that the main supporter of Linux in
Munich https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiMux
the former city mayor Christian Ude, who was in office for 21 years, is
now retired and the views of his successor on Limux are the exact contrary.

So maybe substantial lobbying from the side of M$ has not even been
necessary...even if I wouldn't be sure that it didn't take place.
So I would go with Axel that this is due to bias mainly caused by
general ignorance and not being willing to see the bigger picture.

Harry