The City Of Munich Now Wants To Abandon Linux And Switch Back to Windows - Slashdot

ISHIKAWA,chiaki ishikawa at yk.rim.or.jp
Sun Feb 12 11:12:26 UTC 2017

On 2017/02/12 12:07, Wayne Mery wrote:
> Not new news. But interesting regardless.  A few thousand Thunderbird
> seats.
>
> https://yro.slashdot.org/story/17/02/11/1930217/the-city-of-munich-now-wants-to-abandon-linux-and-switch-back-to-windows
>

> "The prestigious FOSS project replacing the entire city's administration
> IT with FOSS based systems, is about to be cancelled and
> decommissioned," writes long-time Slashdot reader Qbertino. TechRepublic
> reports:
> Politicians at open-source champion Munich will next week vote on
> whether to abandon Linux and return to Windows by 2021. The city
> authority, which made headlines for ditching Windows, will discuss
> proposals to replace the Linux-based OS used across the council with a
> Windows 10-based client. If the city leaders back the proposition it
> would be a notable U-turn by the council, which spent years migrating
> about 15,000 staff from Windows to LiMux, a custom version of the Ubuntu
> desktop OS, and only completed the move in 2013...
>
> The use of the open-source Thunderbird email client and LibreOffice
> suite across the council would also be phased out, in favor of using
> "market standard products" that offer the "highest possible
> compatibility" with external and internal software... The full council
> will vote on whether to back the plan next Wednesday. If all SPD and CSU
> councillors back the proposal put forward by their party officials, then
> this new proposal will pass, because the two parties hold the majority.
>
> The leader of the Munich Green Party says the city will lose "many
> millions of euros" if the change is implemented. The article also
> reports that Microsoft moved its German headquarters to Munich last year.
>
> [see also
> http://www.techrepublic.com/article/linux-pioneer-munich-poised-to-ditch-open-source-and-return-to-windows/
> ]

Thank you for the pointer.

That Accentuate is writing the recommendation together with a German
consulting firm is interesting, to say the least.

Anyway, it would be very interesting to learn WHAT exactly, the users
there think, are the shortcomings of libreoffice (and possibly
thunderbird) are. I am not sure whether they think Firefox is lacking in
some features.

It looks to me that from reading the web articles that the city is
saying that the IT infra is outdated and not compatible with the market
landscape. It is so obscure and in one point, the article states that
moving to the web-based service may cure some deficiencies, etc.

It looks to me that the City's IT department did not seek outside help
very well if the opensource software is lacking in some features. And if
this culminated in the current situation, that is sad.

But I will leave the deeper analysis to people who know a lot more about
the situation there.

It is sad that the original move was not picked up by more cities and
municipalities. I myself find really surprising that IEEE has adopted
proprietary MS Word, PowerPoint, etc. for their paper submissions even
before the formats of these application's data were not open at all (!).
[AND, believe it or not, openoffice could not grok such important
template 10 years ago.] I suspect that Computer Society people of IEEE
could have been a little more cautious in embracing such proprietary
format, but people in electrical engineering, semiconductor material
science, etc. could not care less. At least, today we have latex format
as an alternate format people use for submitting papers.

Anyway, the articles do not mention anything about TB's deficiencies [I
may have overlooed it in my browsing]. It would be interesting to learn
from people in the know if there had been any issues raised for mozilla
software including TB.

Mozilla, LibreOffice, Apache, etc. can reach to the city's IT people to
learn what is missing most.