Setting up Thunderbird with Norton 360.

Matt Harris unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 11:15:35 UTC 2017

A friend arrived at my home this past weekend with his new Dell laptop
and asked for help installing an email program.  Not a problem I though
so I downloaded Thunderbird, ran the installer and watched the new
account wizard totally fail to do anything.  Just that nice blue windows
cursor indication something was happening.  After a time I cancelled the
account setup and disabled the "smart firewall"  tried again.  Nope, had
to turn just about everything in the product, including mail scanning,
just to get to the point of Thunderbird setting up the accounts.

I am dropping this mail here,  not seeking support,  but looking to
generate interest and discussion in how we get Thunderbird to just work
with these every increasingly rubbish security products.  Clearly if we
are to grow a market share having the product set up an account without
major changes to the anti virus/internet security suite is a given.

So what suggestions do folks have.  What we are doing not is clearly not
working.

Matt