AW: Re: Invitation for technical discussion on next-generation Thunderbird (Semantic Desktop)

opto@optosolar.com opto at optosolar.com
Sun Apr 30 17:57:57 UTC 2017

1.)

> I don't think that's a good assumption at all, because the
> "delete"
> button exists. Who has access to their text messages from 10 years ago?

This truely is a question of how the future 'customerbase' of TB:NG is envisioned.

In my business, I am obliged to archive my emails for 10 years. So it is legally not allowed to use the delete button. (I am not even allowed to delete spam, officially).

I could put old stuff into an archive, but ... Why? Harddisk is cheap, and it is more convenient to have emails to customer X in a subfolder, even if the last email was exchanged in 2011: I can easily send email to the old recipient lists by 'reply to'. I can easily look up what was agreed when.

I had a look, Windows claims 36 GB to be in use for my TB profile.

2.) If Thunderbird wants to survive, some thoughts about the 'Next generation' might be necessary.

Primarily I read, that in 1 year (3 years) we will have a Thunderbird NG that might be a subset of the current TB. Old addons will be obsolete, except for those rewritten by people on this list and some enthusiasts. Feature list of TB:NG  might be less than today.

Considering the pace of change on mobiles, will there still be a need for this in three years? If it is only identical or with less features?

3) While Paul's envisionent of a greater integrations sound very huge, I think it touches a necessary task that is not on the list yet: What might be the truly NG about the rewrite? I feel that in order to survive long term, some subgroup needs to envision how email, online office, mobile communication, and name whatever, might be related to email in three years. What truely NG features could be/should be on a feature list or even be actual features by then?

At the moment, by reading this list as 'outsider' (user and company internal addon programmer), the ideas maybe concentrate too much on preserving the past (=current TB - which is an important and necessary task).

E.g., even in my business, I use the smart phone to look up the new messages (no PC to start) but use TB and a local IMAP server to answer (smartphone keyboard? And who owns my data?). I did not expect to do that two years ago. There might be a lot of changes for UI and useability over three years. It might help if some subgroup brainstorms (and programs) about that.

Klaus