Invitation for technical discussion on next-generation Thunderbird

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Apr 24 14:54:43 UTC 2017

On 24/04/17 14:27, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> That's one way to look at it, but there are other criteria. I can accept
> a small delay when opening a folder, but I cannot accept any delay
> whatsoever during scrolling. My tolerance for scrolling delays is what I
> eyes won't notice anymore, somewhere in the area of 20ms.

If you are unwilling to tolerate any delays at all when scrolling
through a million message mailbox, where do you want to put the
asynchronicity?

I guess it might be possible to have all the metadata in memory to
populate the tree, but not the message bodies? So whenever you load a
message, that's when the async DB hit happens?

> I think 1 million emails in a folder are an edge case. We should not
> redesign everything for edge cases, as that will have costs in design
> and implementation time, and might cause other disadvantages.

What size of folder do you think we should have performance targets for?

Gerv