Invitation for technical discussion on next-generation Thunderbird

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Sat Apr 22 20:44:51 UTC 2017

On 4/22/17 6:45 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> Essentially, there are already so many JS libraries on npm, and they
> give so much value, that at this point, I'd make npm support a
> requirement for any platform that we'll use. Including the platform
> APIs they use, e.g. node.js require("fs") and sockets etc. That's
> basically a requirement for all the already existing code.

npm has it's strengths but it's definitely not without problems +
requiring npm, that leaves your implementation tied to node.js/electron.

The problems I mean are that while it's great to easily find a package
when you're developing something, it's not so great to come back one
year later and try to update your code to newest packages... because of
the dependency chain (which can easily grow huge) where some parts of
the chain broke/got behind. Not to mention all the changes to the
node.js core.

  -Magnus