Invitation for technical discussion on next-generation Thunderbird

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Sat Apr 22 20:35:19 UTC 2017

On 4/22/17 4:52 AM, Joshua Cranmer 🐧 wrote:

> Now is perhaps as good a time as any other to start thinking about
> technical hurdles to preparing the modules of Thunderbird.next (or
> whatever name people wish to call it). Here are some things that we
> are likely to need to start to come to a consensus on before getting
> any serious headway in coding:
>

>     JS support and platforms
>
> Obviously, we need a minimum baseline to support all the platforms
> that we wish to support.

We don't need to use the absolute newest features still stabilizing but
there's little reason not to assume "latest". Most things can be
transplined and polyfilled anyway if that turns out to be necessary for
usage somewhere else.

> For a starting point, I think it makes sense to start with baseline of
> ES6, perhaps with async/await support.

Well we definitely want all that.

>     Library fragmentation and sharing code
>
> I don't know a good pithy name for this, but it's fairly clear I
> expect that everyone thinks we should be dividing the implementation
> into smaller modules/packages/etc. of some size. I think it's a good
> idea to set guidelines for where we expect these package boundaries to
> lie, and particularly on what we should do with those kinds of
> functions that might feel too low-level to ask for a dependency but
> crop up in many packages (base64 and email address manipulation come
> to mind).

Using things from utility helper modules should be ok, but sure, it's a
weigh off on when to just inline things.

  -Magnus