Invitation for technical discussion on next-generation Thunderbird

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Sat Apr 22 15:05:44 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 9:52 PM, Joshua Cranmer 🐧 <pidgeot18 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Now is perhaps as good a time as any other to start thinking about
> technical hurdles to preparing the modules of Thunderbird.next (or whatever
> name people wish to call it). Here are some things that we are likely to
> need to start to come to a consensus on before getting any serious headway
> in coding:
> JS support and platforms
>
> Obviously, we need a minimum baseline to support all the platforms that we
> wish to support. Something like <https://developer.mozilla.
> org/en-US/docs/Using_CXX_in_Mozilla_code>
> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Using_CXX_in_Mozilla_code> is a
> natural way to display and organize this information--you make a list of
> new and upcoming features, what the minimum version of the various
> platforms is to support them, and you slowly move the bar higher as you
> require newer versions. It also lets you see what requiring newer versions
> gets you in terms of being able to improve baseline support

​How long do you expect it to be before you have a first running version of
the code?

How long before the other platforms catch up?

I would strongly recommend you shoot for where you expect the market to be
in two years time and use the latest version that is supported on Windows,
Linux and OSX.

I saw the opposite at CERN where entire collaborations were required to
write code so it would run on essentially one machine (CERNVM) which didn't
have a real linker.

Since JavaScript is in effect a managed code system with a runtime, you can
save a lot of development effort by relying on later versions of the
runtime with more features. One of the market forces driving this is that
with Oracle's perfidious behavior with respect to Java, a lot of
development effort is going into JavaScript runtime right now. ​