Thunderbird++ for each of the four major components

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Wed Apr 19 13:51:57 UTC 2017

On 19/04/17 14:38, The Wanderer wrote:
> For myself, if it's not possible to upgrade from Thunderbird to
> Thunderbird++ and continue using my existing profile without data loss
> (even if not all features are present yet), I would not consider
> Thunderbird++ to be "viable".

There would be precisely that - a unidirectional migration (although I'd
say even a migrator is doubtful as part of an MVP - people can just set
up their email accounts again; it's easy with the DB).

One day, using an existing profile without data loss might be possible.
But to say you couldn't try Thunderbird++ until that was possible is
surely not true.

> The more data there is to be potentially lost without migration, and the
> harder it is to avoid losing it without migration, the harder it is to
> convince people to move without migration.

Sure. But not everyone will need to migrate.

I want to focus on the word "Minimum" in MVP. Minimum does not mean
"works for me", it means "works for some large enough set of people that
we actually have a userbase".

Gerv