Thunderbird++ for each of the four major components

Joshua Cranmer 🐧 pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 17:22:21 UTC 2017

On 4/18/2017 11:45 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> On 18/04/17 16:57, The Wanderer wrote:
>> Although I don't use it as heavily as I used to (by a large margin), I
>> do consider the NNTP functionality of Thunderbird to be a key part of
>> its feature set, without which it would not be complete. It may not be
>> part of "minimum viable", but it is still an essential target for a
>> sufficient replacement for "current Thunderbird", IMO.
> Quite possibly. But keeping clear the (massive) difference between
> "minimum viable" and "sufficient replacement" is utterly vital. We can
> define "sufficient replacement" once we've built "minimum viable" -
> there's no need to define it any earlier than that.

There is a concept I have that certain features should be reflected as
eventually desirable and need their presence taken into account early on
to influence design yet for which implementations are unnecessary in a
MVP. NNTP is very clearly in this category, and I suggest things like
S/MIME, PGP, TNEF, LDAP, GSSAPI also fall into this category. They're
design points to take into account, although most of them have similar
technologies available already in MVP form. (MIME add-ons being the main
counterexample).

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer